Forty-five percent of respondents in a recent survey of investment banks, broker-dealers and independent research firms agreed that it is very important to the success of their businesses to base key management decisions on real-time data and analytics sourced from their capital markets, brokerage or research operations.
Key Survey Findings
During the Spring of 2022, Integrity Research Associates, LLC conducted the 2022 Survey of Capital Markets Technology Trends, an online survey to better understand the use of various capital markets related enterprise software systems at sell-side investment banks, broker-dealers, and independent research firms. This survey was sponsored by capital markets client engagement and analytics provider Singletrack. Forty-six C-level executives and research managers were surveyed at firms headquartered in the US, UK, and Europe. A few of the key findings from this survey includes:
- A significant percentage of survey respondents (45%) agreed that it is either extremely or very important to the success of their businesses to base key management decisions on real-time data and analytics from their capital markets, brokerage or research operations.
- A majority of sell-side firms (86%) expect process/workflow automations to be the most important technology investment priority over the upcoming twelve to twenty-four months. In contrast, a majority of IRPs (59%) said product enhancement/innovations: new product offerings are their most important IT investment.
- A majority of sell-side firms said that the most useful decision making analytics would be focused on profitability (64%). This compares to participants from independent research firms who said that the most important decision making analytics for them would be focused on client growth (56%).
- Both sell-side and independent research firms felt that CRM systems were most important decision support system to connect (64% for sell-side / 56% for IRPs), followed by customer profitability (43% for sell-side / 26% for IRPs).
- Survey participants highlighted three main impediments to connecting their decision support systems, including budget constraints (50%), limited technology resources (50%), and a lack of integration between their various system vendors (40%).
The purpose of the 2022 Survey of Capital Markets Technology Trends, sponsored by UK technology vendor Singletrack, was to better understand the financial services industry’s use of various types of capital markets related enterprise software systems.
It was clear from this year’s survey of capital markets technology trends that sell-side investment banks and independent research firms now depend on real-time data from across their organizations to make critical management decisions. In addition, it is obvious that the days when financial services firms conduct their capital markets and research operations by leveraging standalone software systems are over.
If you would like a complimentary copy of the complete results of this year’s survey please e-mail Clare Cavenagh at Singletrack.